Friday 14 January 2011

Powell On To Pastures Old

Today, Leicester City's first team coach and reserves manager, Chris Powell, left the club to take up the vacant managerial spot at Charlton Athletic, the club which he spent most of his playing years and is his 'spiritual home',

Powell in Leicester blue. (thisisleicestershire.com)

  Having played over 250 games for Charlton, he joined Leicester at 38 in 2008 as they were promoted to the Championship.  The following year he became player-coach and after seeing Pearson and Sousa leave the club, joined up with the man who called him up to play for England, Sven Goran Eriksson.

  He has already turned down an assistant manager role at Premier League Newcastle this season but couldn't resist taking the step up to full manager at his old club.  "I'm absolutely delighted - I'm honoured and proud to be the Charlton manager." he said.  "I've been happy at Leicester, so I stayed.  But the lure of managing one of my old clubs...was too great for me to turn down".

Powell celebrates with the players as
Moussa scores. (lcfc.com)

  I'm very happy for him.  When he turned down Newcastle I was so excited because I think he's been nothing but good for the club and didn't want someone else to gain from our loss.  But to be able to step up as manager of his possibly favourite club is an opportunity not to be missed and I think Charlton will have something good there.

  My best memory of him is when he was caretaker manager in between Paulo Sousa's and Sven's reigns in a match at home against Scunthorpe United.  In the last minutes, Frank Moussa scored to make it 3-1 to Leicester and Powell sprinted the length of the pitch to join in with the celebrations (see picture).  It shows his passion, his commitment and his enthusiasm for the sport and football is better off with him around.

No comments:

Post a Comment