Monday 12 January 2015

3 Things I'm Looking Forward to Seeing in Cinema in 2015

John Boyega as Finn in Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)
image: starwars.com
I love watching films. Whether it's during a quiet night in with my wife or with friends on the big screen.

They offer a moment of escape from the stresses of life; they tell exciting stories of good, evil, failure, success and redemption; they give opportunity to interact with your loved ones and people around you.

2015 promises to be a big year for film and here are three things I'm looking forward to seeing in the cinema.

Superheros

I'm a massive Marvel fan, from the films to the television shows. I've never been a reader of the comic books but enjoy exploring the backgrounds of the movie characters in them.

After the surprise hit of Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) and the acclaimed sequel Captain America: the Winter Soldier (2014) last year, Marvel Studios are going from strength to strength and leading the way in blockbuster movies at the moment.

They have instigated a new phenomenon in cinema, the cinematic universe, where stories and characters flow in and out of multiple media - from film to video games to televesion - and the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) offers its next installment this May; Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015).

I'm also looking forward to Ant-Man (2015) opening in the summer which is another risky theme (a superhero the size of an ant?!) that I think Marvel will be able to pull off. Plus, Paul Rudd stars in it which is always going to be good!

Dinosaurs

My childhood play was dominated by dinosaurs which I found absolutely fascinating (and still do today). So Jurassic Park (1993) fits right in with my memories of growing up enjoying films. I specifically remember our family buying our first ever VHS of the movie!

The news that the franchise will get a fourth film (after the disappointing Jurassic Park 3 (2001)) is so exciting. The trailer for Jurassic World (2015) includes scenes of the original park finally opening and glimpses of a scary hybrid dinosaur (that I'm not really sold on yet). However Chris Pratt on a motorcycle with seemingly tame velociraptors has whet my appetite fully.

There is also Disney Pixar's 16th feature film, the promising The Good Dinosaur (2015), which sees Pixar's classic animation tackle the question of 'what would happen if the dinosaurs were never wiped out?'. It's a good year for dino lovers!

Lightsabres

Sci-fi has always been my favourite genre of film: I love the idea of galactic travel and special powers and pitting good vs evil in these fantastical situations. So when my Dad brought home Star Wars: A New Hope (1977) on VHS  one day my life-long love of Star Wars was bound to begin.

After more disappointing sequels (prequels, whatever) to classic films - not to mention television series, video games and even Lego - a sequel to the original trilogy of Star Wars is huge news!

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015) will be out by the end of the year and the trailer looks amazing. Directed by JJ Abrams (of Lost (2004) fame and also with experience of rebooting classic Sci-Fi with Star Trek (2009)) it looks like it will be back to its gritty, realistic best with real-life robots/aliens, rustic locations and nods to the original cast and score.



My new resolution for the year is to go to the cinema more often so, when these films come out, get in touch and we'll check them out for ourselves!

No comments:

Post a Comment