Thursday 2 July 2009

Film review: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

I've never done a film review on here before but here we go!

Yesterday I saw Transformers 2 (2009) with my good friend Joe and was very impressed. Directed by Michael Bay (Armageddon) and Steven Spielberg (surely you know!) this sequel to the original Transformers film (2007) was two and a half hours long (that's 150 minutes!) but it definitely didn't seem like it. That's the first reason why I thought it was a good film: if you are kept interested for a whole film, especially one that is this long, it's a good thing!

The next impressive thing was the fact that there were gigantic alien robots in almost every scene. Yes, that is a geeky thing to be impressed at but I don't care! I was most impressed with the pre-production which has gone into making this fact possible, they are all of course CGI which will take and age to produce and the movements, transformations and choreography of the battles are exceptional!

The plot was an interesting one. Obviously there is the good against evil battle, evil trying to destroy the world and good protecting mankind. Next, the stereotype of 'chosen one' in Shia LeBeouf's character who must also save the world, with his love interest Megan Fox who follows him around looking stunning. The Autobots' coalition with human military is a new concept in film but it still seemed to go along with the US army's real battles in the Middle East (even though it was set in Egypt) adding to Hollywood's continuing support for the USA's military aims. I won't spoil the ending for those who haven't seen this yet but there are some great, epic and absolutely spectacular battles and explosions which always add to a film (one that I'm watching anyway!).

So with the comic book background, excellent CGI, amazing explosions and battle scenes and beautiful leading lady this film gets a decent 7 out of 10. It's not one I'd rant and rave about (ironic in a blog review!) or I'd class in my favourite films but I definietly enjoyed it and would possibly buy the DVD, definitely rent or watch it on TV. However, it in fact gets a solid 8 out of 10 due to the intentional or mistaken intertextuality throughout the film. Megatron's deep Agent Smith inspirations, the Minority Report (2002) style holographs coming from someone's mind, the The Matrix (1999) style robot that enter's LeBoeuf's character's belly button, the Titanic-esque (1997) sinking aircraft carrier complete with people and robots hitting anf flipping off of the propellers! The list goes on I'm sure and I definitely want to watch again just to see them!

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen = 8/10

1 comment:

  1. I love how you put so many different Stephen Spielberg links in the phrase "surely you know" - nice touch :)

    ReplyDelete