Wednesday 11 November 2009

A few words of encouragement

The psalmist writes, in Psalm 119, that God's Word, The Bible, is eternal. It 'stands firm in the heavens', it is as applicable thousands of years ago as it is still today and always will be, for God 'was and is and is to come' (Rev. 4:8). In other words, He is the same as He always has been, as He is today and as he will be in the future. Therefore, we can take what God has said to others through His Word, and apply it to our lives:

We say 'It's impossible.' God says 'What is impossible with men is possible with God.' (Luke 18:27)
We say 'I'm exhausted.' He says 'But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength.' (Isaiah 40:31)
We say 'Nobody loves me.' He says 'I have loved you with an everlasting love.' (Jeremiah 31:3)
We say 'I can't go on.' He says 'My grace is sufficient for you.' (2 Corinthians 12:9)
We say 'I don't know what to do.' He says 'I shall direct your paths.' (Proverbs 3:6)
We say 'I can't do it.' He says 'You can do all things through Christ, who strengthens you.' (Phillipians 4:19)
We say 'It's not worth it.' He says 'You will reap a harvest if you do not give up.' (Galatians 6:9)
We say 'I can't forgive myself.' He says 'In Christ, God forgave you.' (Ephesians 4:32)
We say 'I can't make ends meet.' He says 'God shall supply all your need.' (Phillipians 4:19)
We say 'I'm afraid.' He says 'God has not given you a spirit of fear, but of power.' (2 Timothy 1:7)
We say 'I can't handle this.' He says 'Cast your cares on the Lord and He will sustain you.' (Psalm 55:22)
We say 'I'm not smart enough.' He says 'If any of you needs wisdom, you should ask God for it.' (James 1:5)
We say 'I'm all alone.' He says 'I will never leave you nor forsake you.' (Hebrews 13:5)

Whatever your struggle, look to God and He has promised to help you out.

Credit for these examples goes to the daily reading series The Word for Today, a publication by United Christian Broadcasters (UCB) which I fully recommend. It can be read on the internet, for free, or you can order it in a neat little booklet delivered to your doorstep, also for free.

No comments:

Post a Comment