Wednesday 31 March 2010

Why do I like football?

So, as you might know, Leicester City were promoted from League One last season, comfortably as champions.    This season they have performed way above expectations, holding a top six position ready for the play-offs when most would have expected a battle against relegation (as fellow promoted sides Peterborough and Scunthorpe have endured).  Even I saw a top half finish as a good ambition, so I'm very happy.


However, after beating fellow promotion hopeful and local rivals Nottingham Forest we seemed to be starting a late surge into the top two positions, giving us automatic promotion!  It all seemed way too good to be true, and when I went over to Hillsborough the week after to see them play Sheffield Wednesday, it all came crashing down.  After this Leicester managed two scraped 1-0 wins and then have gone on the worst run since our relegation season: one point out of twelve.  That's definitely relegation form so what is going on?


A couple of weeks ago I thought it more and more likely as the weeks went on that we were headed for play-offs at Wembley (meaning I'd have to start saving!) but now it seems more and more likely that we're heading for top ten like we hoped at the beginning of the season.  We've gone from ten points clear in the play-offs to just four points.  With the probable fourth loss in a row this weekend and the random form that we have had this year, I really don't know whether I want play-offs or not: Leicester are so ambiguous I don't know what to think...!  Why I worry myself with football, I don't know.

1 comment:

  1. After a run of bad loses, we've finally pulled one back mate...4-0!!! 4 games left of season, 3 of which are teams in the bottom 8...goodtimes. Wembley here we come! (Aren't you glad we've got a certain hope in all of this?!)

    ReplyDelete