Tuesday 28 December 2010

Top 5 Films of 2010

So the end of the year is upon us and another year of film has passed.  I thought I'd write a bit about my favourite films of the year, although there have been many!


One of the many vampire films to be released this year, this film stuck in my mind the most.  Set in a post-apocalyptic world where the population has transformed into vampires and the human blood necessary for survival is running out.  Do the vampires begin to farm the remaining humans or settle for the pigs blood substitute?  We follow a haematologist on the search for a true substitute for blood in a lovely stylistic film.

4 - Alice in Wonderland

The best 3D use so far I think, it becoming more and more prominent as Alice entered Underworld.  Tim Burton  took this classic and created a very typical sequel to good effect.  Jonny Depp as the Mad Hatter was inspired and, although I didn't write a review for this, I really enjoyed this re-imagining.

3 - Kick-Ass

Another comic-book adaptation but not as mainstream as film goers have come to expect.  In a series of lesser known graphic novel comics making their way to film, this was my favourite.  A great mix of action, comedy and suspense is added to a very nice looking film which I gladly received for Christmas on DVD.

2 - How to Train Your Dragon


I have a habit of enjoying films which are targeted at children, mainly because I would have loved them as a child myself.  This is one of them.  Loving dragons and dinosaurs, an animated film about having a pet dragon of sorts looked, and was, very good.  Some good 3D usage added to the spectacle of this film which was funny and beautiful throughout.

1 - Inception

Definitely my favourite film of the year, this film looked good, had good actors in it and was the cleverest story I heard all year.  Looking at dreams, within dreams, within dreams, we follow a man whose job it is to infiltrate said dreams to find information needed.  I fully expect this film to gain nominations and even awards at the Oscars.  If you haven't seen it, go and watch!

4 comments:

  1. Inception was good, I don't agree with it being he top spot, i think it is slightly overrated. Well you know my thoughts on Day Breakers, that can happily stay in the "Fuck that!" Category of my films of 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  2. where is the expendables and shutter island?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers for the comment, Mike. Inception, overrated by me? I loved it and have looked forward to seeing it again since I left the cinema. Maybe when I watch it again I will change my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers, Darren, for the comment!

    Unfortunately, The Expendables and Shutter Island were on the list of films I wanted to see but didn't manage in 2010. Shutter, especially I'd like to see because I love Di Caprio and I'm told he was excellent in it!

    ReplyDelete